We aim to arrange events in person and online around the NGO CEDAW Legal Working Group hosted by the Women’s Resource Centre. If you would like more information about our work please email UsingCEDAW@gmail.com.
We aim to:
- Mainstream CEDAW within the UK domestic legal system (e.g. to encourage its use in an equivalent way to the UNCRC and the Refugee Convention);
- Demonstrate to lawyers and NGOs how CEDAW can be an effective tool;
- Highlight to policy makers and the CEDAW Committee the key areas where there is an ongoing state failure to effectively implement CEDAW.
We will do this by:
- Producing a CEDAW guide for lawyers on using the Convention in domestic proceedings;
- Identifying and driving strategic litigation where CEDAW can be used to promote women’s rights in the UK;
- Taking a strategic approach to ‘impact’ litigation where legal action would accompany policy and communications work and the results would help provide hard evidence to the CEDAW Committee about the limits of women’s rights protection in the UK;
- Identifying areas where the CEDAW Optional Protocol Communications Procedure would provide an opportunity to drive holistic change beyond the trajectory of current domestic and ECHR judgments.
We will deliver this by:
- Seeking partners to work with us around the working group (let us know if you are interested in working with us);
- Arranging meetings throughout the year, with a cross-cutting focus on access to justice and needs-driven services despite the cuts;
- Organising more specialist ‘sub-teams’ to meet between the Working Group meetings (‘Teams’ may include, for example, Family, Crime, Immigration/Women in Detention, Health/Social Care and Housing).
This is a grass-roots initiative and we welcome supporters from all fields and walks of life so do not hesitate to get in touch if you want to find out more by emailing: UsingCEDAW@gmail.com.